Thy Will Be Done
Chapter 4 - the shadows keep on changing
by Meimi

_____________________________________________________________________

Disclaimer: Am not associated in any way with Namco, Monolith, et al. No profit, blahblahblah.

Notes: Take a sharp turn right after Episode 1, head straight into Alternate Universe/Timeline territory, add in a few speculative theories, shake well.

_____________________________________________________________________

"I'm terribly sorry, sir, but even someone with special priority clearance, such as yourself, won't be able to get in to see the CEO for the foreseeable future," the Vector secretary, a government issue Realian, bowed her head in apology. "If you'd like, I can add you to the head of the waiting list to inform you of when he is available."

"No no, that's quite all right. Thank you for your trouble." chaos kept a pleasantly fake smile plastered on his face until he signed off of the U.M.N., at which point it turned into a frustrated scowl. He wasn't going to be able to do anything while he was still on the Elsa or Second Miltia. He was going to have to find a way onto the Dammerung without certain individuals discovering it, not an easy task.

On the other hand, his security clearance code had gotten him much farther into Vector's communications than he'd thought it would. Of course, the fact that it hadn't been revoked in all this time was rather shocking.

Old friend, you still consider me as such even though I did not? Why? His guilty projection was only met with continuing silence. For all that Wilhelm had left certain avenues open, unbeknownst to chaos, his old friend certainly seemed quite content to ignore any and all of his entreaties for the time being.

You can't ignore me forever. You're going to have to talk to me sometime.

"Oh, I don't know. I don't think he has to do anything."

chaos smirked humorlessly as a forbidding black draped figure coalesced out of thin air behind him. He had been sensing a rather familiar, oppressive presence on the Elsa for awhile now. Though, he hadn't quite expected the Black Testament to actually come out and converse with him. "I was starting to wonder just how long you were going to stalk me."

"My apologies," Voyager said, sounding anything but apologetic, "I was simply attempting to sate some of my curiosity."

"And did you?" chaos asked as he turned and leaned back against the U.M.N. console, crossing his arms in casual defense. He knew that the Testaments were forbidden to seriously harm him or any of his brethren, but he couldn't bring himself to trust this one to follow the rules. chaos knew him too well.

"Alas, yes," Voyager answered, amusement coloring his tone as he gave chaos an unsettling smile, "Much to my disappointment. You Fallen are a rather sad bunch."

"Really? That's interesting of you to say considering your own experience," chaos cocked an eyebrow in mock interest. There were many, many other things he could say to that. Unfortunately, as intriguing as the prospect of getting into a verbal sparring match with the Black Testament might be, he simply didn't have the time to indulge.

Voyager shrugged dismissively, "Even I make mistakes. I have since rectified the error of my ways."

"I'm sure U-DO will be crushed to learn that he has lost his most fervent disciple," chaos countered cuttingly, unable to resist at least that.

"U-DO was not a god. He does not deserve my service," Voyager scoffed.

chaos' eyes widened in shock as something clicked in his mind. In light of that revelation, Voyager's devotion now made a sick sort of sense. "He isn't a god either."

"It may not seem so to you and yours," Voyager grinned predatorily, his teeth flashing in the bright light from the U.M.N. console, "But he is more of one than any of you will ever be. And to all of the little human sheep, he might as well be God since the rest of you all fall so short."

~*~

"You know Canaan, sometimes I really hate you," Jr. grumbled as he shook his head, attempting to shake off the remains of the Ether lingering in it. He hated that fucking sleep spell so very much. The fact that MOMO had watched over him the entirety of his enforced slumber really wasn't much comfort in the long run. Damned E.S.

"Really Rubedo, my job was to get you here alive and intact," Canaan stated in his typical monotone, "Using the E.S. Asher was the most logical choice. Your discomfort really wasn't a factor."

"Yep, I hate you," Jr. growled as he stalked out of the elevator. Once they had arrived, and he had been awakened, Jr. had been snarly. He had groused through the security checkpoint from the Asher's little special hangar. He had groused through the entry hallways. And he had groused through the entire elevator ride up to the floor Helmer's office was on. Maybe, just maybe, he was acting like a spoiled brat, but he was entitled. And really, it's not like Canaan took any of his bitching to heart. In fact, if he didn't know better, it almost seemed like the Realian was enjoying it.

"Here we are," Canaan stopped at a nondescript door, gave a short knock and then waved them all through when it swished open, "I'd join you, but I have something else I need to do."

Jr. looked up at Canaan with a serious expression, his irritation disappearing in an instant. "Make sure he's okay when you find him. I can't put my finger on it yet, but something just isn't right."

"I know and I will," Canaan nodded his understanding. Of course, Rubedo would know what he was up to. Turning his attention to MOMO and Ziggy, who had been conspicuously quiet throughout Jr.'s tirade, he nodded in farewell. "Good luck, and don't let Rubedo drive Representative Helmer crazy. It just wouldn't do."

MOMO laughed weakly as she trailed after Jr. into the office, Ziggy a strong, yet silent presence at her back. That... had been an interesting experience. Jr. and Canaan must have had quite a history to be comfortable enough around each other to be so amusingly petty in their interaction.

But one thing didn't make sense. "Jr., why does Canaan call you Rubedo? I thought you didn't like it," MOMO asked hesitantly.

"I don't," Jr. frowned, a shadow falling across his eyes at the touch of old, painful memories. "But I gave up trying to get him to stop calling me by it a long time ago. Canaan is nothing if not impossibly stubborn."

"Well, if it isn't Gaignun Kukai Jr.," Representative Helmer said cheerfully in greeting as he rose and walked out from behind his desk.

"Oh please don't start with me," Jr. groaned, earning himself a hearty laugh from the older man. "I've had an awful day."

"So I've heard," Helmer gave Jr. a conciliatory pat on the shoulder before turning his attention to the others. "So this must be MOMO and Ziggurat 8."

"Please call him Ziggy," MOMO burst out, then blushed in embarrassment at her own audacity. How could she be so rude?

"Ah, certainly," Helmer smiled down at the girl, shaking his head at Ziggy's unnecessary look of apology. He of all people understood the type of bonds and relationships that could form under extreme circumstance, and this group had just been through some of the worst.

Kneeling down so he could look MOMO directly in the eye, Helmer spoke gently, "I really must apologize for the hardships you've been through. I'm afraid U-TIC caught us with our pants down."

"You mean, they caught the Federation with their pants down," Jr. grumbled halfheartedly as he crossed his arms.

"We all bear some of the blame in one form or another," Helmer frowned sourly as he rose back to his full height. "And I'm afraid it is not over yet."

"So I'd heard," Jr. muttered under his breath.

"What do you mean?" MOMO asked in confusion.

"Events have changed greatly, but I'll let Dr. Mizrahi fill you in," Helmer explained, leaning against the front of his desk as he activated a secure U.M.N. channel. A virtual screen popped up behind him showing the face of Juli Mizrahi.

"Mommy!" MOMO cried happily, her face lighting up with joy. Jr. hung his head at her reaction. This wasn't going to be pretty.

"MOMO," Juli hesitated, her features schooled into absolute blankness. "I'm glad to see that you are all right."

If it was possible, MOMO beamed even more at her mother's words. "When am I going to see you again?"

"I'm afraid that is an uncertainty at this point," Juli stated plainly. As if a switch had been clicked, MOMO's mood plummeted in disappointment. "Unfortunately, the U.M.N. scan of MOMO's subconscious has been postponed indefinitely."

"Why is that?" Ziggy asked as he stepped forward and placed a comforting hand on MOMO's shoulder.

"The need has altered," Juli said slowly, as if trying to choose her words carefully. "The U.M.N. nodes around Old Miltia reconnected with the network on their own shortly after Proto Merkabah broke up in Second Miltia's atmosphere."

"What?" Jr. shouted in surprised, Mary and Shelley hadn't mentioned that. "How is that possible?"

"It's an emergency feature," Juli explained, "It only activates in the most extreme of circumstances."

"And that would be?"

Juli grimaced slightly, breaking her obvious detachment. "It's the Abyss. The checks to activate the emergency protocols were tripped when the nodes observed that the twin black holes were getting exponentially larger. At the rate they seem to be going, they'll shortly swallow the entire solar system for Old Miltia, and it does not appear as if they'll stop after that."

_____________________________________________________________________

From childhood's hour I have not been
As others were; I have not seen
As others saw; I could not bring
My passions from a common spring.
- Alone by Edgar Allen Poe

 

BACK  |  FORWARD